- Tools & Strategies
- Creative Work & Self Expression
- Youth Voices
Understanding & Dismantling Privilege
The official journal of the White Privilege Conference and Matrix Center at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Available now at www.wpcjournal.com
Submissions accepted on a rolling basis for the following sections:
- Tools and Strategies
- Creative Work and Self-reflection
- Youth Voices
Over the past couple of years, organizers of the White Privilege Conference and the faculty and staff of the Matrix Center for the Advancement of Social Equity and Inclusion have been vetting ways to share more widely and authentically the research and practices that inform and define the Annual White Privilege Conference. Through these discussions we developed the genesis for The Journal for Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, an on-line, open-access, peer-reviewed journal dedicated to providing a venue for social justice scholars, educators, activists and practitioners to share their work with a wide ranging audience.
This journal is another extension of the mission and goals of the WPC and the Matrix Center. The journal will provide a forum for extending the dialogues, strategies and ideas fostered by the WPC with a wider audience throughout the year, and provide a space for publishing work that advances social justice for an interdisciplinary audience.
This new journal brings together articles, reflections, creative work, curriculum, tools and strategies. Like the WPC, the journal is committed to examining not only white privilege and oppression, but the intersections of systems of privilege based on race, gender, sexuality, class, religion, ability, nationality, and other axes of inequality. Bringing together voices across generations and workplaces, the journal is committed to advancing social justice and dismantling privilege. The journal will strive to bridge academia and practice, highlight activism, and offer a forum for creative introspection on issues of inequity, power and privilege. Consistent with our goal of sharing this work as widely as possible, we are embracing the use of the Collective Commons copyright system, allowing authors themselves to determine the level of copyright protection they desire.
The goals of the journal are:
- To create a forum for research and creative work that critically examines issues of privilege, power, oppression, white supremacy, and social justice.
- To encourage examination of the intersections of systems of privilege and oppression, including but not limited to race/ethnicity, sex/gender, sexuality, class, nationality and ability/disability.
- To provide a space for self-reflection, bridging the personal and political.
- To bridge theory and practice we will provide a forum for sharing curriculum, programming, tools, strategies, and best practices.
- To foster interdisciplinary dialogue.
- To encourage the development of and provide opportunities for learning from youth voices.
The journal will be published one to two times a year, depending upon submissions and volunteers. We need your help! Please become a reviewer for the journal, by submitting a reviewer form, and consider submitting your work for review and possible inclusion. We invite you to join us in Understanding and Dismantling Privilege: www.wpcjournal.com
The Editorial Team